6th Grade Language Arts
Just another Edublogs.org weblog

The Great Depression
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm by and
This mother has just sold the tires from her car in order to purchase food for her children.  They have been eating frozen peas from the field and birds that her children have killed.

This mother has just sold the tires from her car in order to purchase food for her children. They have been eating frozen peas from the field and birds that her children have killed.

We have studied the Great Depression all week.  In the above picture there is a mother and her children trying to survive this turmultuous period.  As the sole provider for her family she holds the responsibility of making sure their basic needs are met.  Although their living situation is not the best, she does the best she can.

Imagine that your family was faced with the same struggles of the Great Depression.  How would your situation be similar to the family above?  What might you be forced to do to aid in your own survival? What would you do if you slowly lost everything that was important to you? How much more would you value FAMILY? Briefly explain.

You are not limited to just answering the questions above.  Share freely.

Comments so far:

1. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

i will be sad to lose everything i had and i will do what ever i have to so i can provide for my family and my situation would be similar to this if you dont have food a warm bed and a home to be in

desiree

2. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

I think that i would do the same thing that this mother is doing. I think this because it really dont matter were you live what really matter is if you have your basic needs.Your basic needs are important because if you have them you will live good.For example,we all need to take a shower,etc.Without those we will not be looking nice.This mom in this picture trys to do her best to give her kids the need they need.Even if she can not afford them i say this because if you look at this picture you can tell this dfamily dont have no were to live only the tent.

francis

3. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

It would be tuff because I have a big family and we would’nt have enough stuff.Not much food,drink or room.so i could’nt handle it nor my family.Oh an I would her kids fight and cry alot.So my family could’nt handle it.

Brianna

4. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

I think that my family would have the same needs as food because if theirs nothing for us to eat we will have to survive like the rest of there’s no difference if you ask me.

shadrekia

5. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

Ladies, Dig a little deeper. Yes, we know that you will have a hard time adjusting. Give me more details about what you would do in order for the entire family to survive.

mitchelllanguagearts

6. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

I agree with fransis and desire because I would be sad and I would be scared because if a storm we would get wet andwe could get hurt. Oh and we would not have the basic needs.

Brianna

7. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

If i was in the great depression time my life would probaly be the same way except i would try to find some other kids to play with.Also my family would be in the same situation but my brother and i would be playing.If my mother had a baby the the woman does we would have alot of blankets or sheets or cloth on the baby and i would be holding the baby.

emani

8. Link Here | October 15, 2010,

i would be sad because one by one i would lose my family because my family is the most important thing in the world to me.And i would do anything to protect them.if i had food i would give it to them because its better me than them.

Tambrisha

9. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i agree with brianna because if you do have a big family it does effect you harder and worse than the people with the smaller families.

emani

10. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i think that if i lost my family i would be really sad because that is one of the most important thing in my life.if i lost something that was really important in my life i would be sad and okay at the same time because it would help my family alot and also i would be sad because it meant alot to me and my family.

jennifer

11. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i feel bad for them but at the same time that is all they can do for themselves and for there kids. and i problably would do the same thing if i had no money and not alot of anything.

jakayla

12. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i agree with you brianna i will be tuff for me and your family with no food water or shelter and nothing to play with or do.

desiree

13. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

we would have to do things like go into rivers that have dangerous animals to catch fish, bathe,and drink.

destiny

14. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i really do agree with francis because she saib she would do the same thing the mother did and i would also do the same too.

jakayla

15. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i agree with tambrisha because i think that the family is one of the most important things in this world.also i think that the last part was the best because it shows that she really cares about her family and i would do the same thing.

jennifer

16. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i think that i would do every thing that is possible to help my family survive or go thru this situation what i would do is i will find a job and work and saVE UP money with the money i save up the my job i will help pay billls if my dad works to that would be 2 of us working so more money also i would help out with other things that are neccesary around the (house)or wereever we live.this woman in the picture looks like she been trying here best for childrens are able to get there basic needs.i think that it really doesnt matter if you dont hAVE THE OTHER THINGS like for example(the best clothesm,the best shoes,the best hairdues, )and other things i think all you need is your basic needs that is what is the most important .If you dont have the best things the cutest thing and every good things it doesnt matter if you have all your (basic
    )needs you have a good life.In the world we see people that are probably poor or even orphans,or homeless and probabaly we think that they are ugly and other things but i think this is my OPINION if they have there main basic needs well they are not poor.We think well some think that everybody have the samr needs we all need to take a bath and other things that we need. NEEDS-things tha tWE ALL NEED IN OUR LIFE.

francis

17. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

Francis, I’m going to agree on what you said because your right it’s about your basic needs and if they don’t have their needs I think that instead of them sitting their they can atleast work with what they got, not saying she’s not

shadrekia

18. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

Desiree I thank you for agreeing with me because my family and your family is big.So we probably could surive a little but not that much.So thank you !!!!

brianna.shipes

19. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

I THINK THAT THE MOM IS DOING GOOD BECAUSE SHE IS TRYING TO PROVIDE FOR HER CHILDREN AND MOST MOMS DONT WANT TO PROVIDE FOR CHILDREN SOME MOMS JUST THINK ABOUT THERE SELF THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY PEASE MY PEAPS

NARYSHA AUDREY

20. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

i think that family looks so depressed and i have a fillin that the house there living in is starting to fall down and there kids look so skinny that maybe they dont even food to get through the day and thats what i think of this

carmen flores

21. Link Here | October 22, 2010,

IF MY FAMILY WAS IN THE GREAT DEPRESSION WE WOLUD PROBALLY GO THROUGH THE SAME THING AN DWE WOLD NEED MONEY,NEED CLOTHES AND NEED FOOD AND ALSO NEED HELP AND I REALLY FEEL BAD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO STOGGLED IN THE GREAT DEPRESSION AND I WOULD OF DID WHAT EVER I WOULD DO IF THE GREAT DEPRESSION WAS STILL GOING ON.

NYA

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI

Share your thoughts

Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)

Sign up at Gravatar.com to personalize your comments!